Preparing for the standardized test that an athlete is required to take to be eligible to play NCAA athletics can be one of the most time consuming parts of the transition process. Athletes have two options as to which standardized test they can take, the ACT or the SAT. We have put together a list of our favorite preparation material for each of the tests. If you would like more information or to purchase any of these materials just click on the images below.
The way students must prepare for these tests has drastically changed from when we took the test years ago. As parents we must realize that just because our test preparation was to simply sharpen pencils and get some sleep does not mean this will work for our children. Think about it like this. The better your score the more likely you are to pay less for college. Tuition is extremely higher than it was 15 years ago. College tuition has an enormous inflation rate. Preparing for these tests is just one way to lower that cost!
TOP 3 STANDARDIZED TEST PREPARATION MATERIALS
for the ACT
1.) The Real ACT (CD) 3rd Edition (Real Act Prep Guide)
The Real ACT Prep Guide with CD is the only book with insider test-taking tips and strategy, practice, and insight from the makers of the ACT. This is the only guide that includes 5 previously administered, full-length ACT tests written by the actual test maker (including 2 NEW practice tests). Also included is ACT content and procedures you'll follow when actually taking the test, along with in-depth review of the optional Writing Test and how it is scored; examples of all the question types; and suggestions on how you might approach the questions. The supplemental CD features a complete electronic copy ofPeterson's Cool Colleges 101 and additional online college planning resources from Peterson's.
- The only guide that includes 5 previously administered, full-length ACT tests written by the actual test maker (including 2 NEW practice tests)
- ACT content and procedures you'll follow when actually taking the test
- Valuable information about tuition payment plans
- All the question types you can expect to find on the ACT
- Suggestions on how you might approach the questions and Peterson's tried-and-true test-taking strategies and tips
2.) Kaplan ACT 2015 Strategies, Practice and Personalized Feedback with 8 Practice T: Book + DVD + Online + Mobile (Kaplan Test Prep)
The essential comprehensive ACT 2015 prep tool from Kaplan, the leader in test prep for 75 years, provides proven test-taking strategies, realistic practice tests, in-depth guided practice, video tutorials, and an comprehensive online center so that you can score higher on the ACT--guaranteed.
In 2013, more than 1.8 million high school students took the ACT. Despite the popularity of the ACT, only one in four students met or surpassed college readiness benchmarks in all four ACT subjects (Math, Reading, English, and Science). College admissions is becoming more competitive and costly each year, making a high score on the ACT essential. A high ACT score sets you apart from the competition and opens up scholarship opportunities. Kaplan understands how important it is for you to do well on the ACT and make your college dreams a reality.
Kaplan ACT 2015 Strategies, Practice, and Personalized Review with extra online practice is an unique resource that provides coverage of all tested material in two different formats: book and online.
The comprehensive study guide and online center include:
- Realistic Practice: Eight full-length practice tests with detailed answer explanations plus hundreds of additional practice questions.
- SmartPoints: a Kaplan-exclusive strategy that identifies the most popular topics and question types on the exam, allowing you to focus your time appropriately and earn the most points on Test Day.
- Perfect Score Tips: advice and strategies from a students who got a perfect score and top ACT instructors.
- Online Center: online quizzes, videos, flashcards and more to help you study.
- Fast Fact DVD and Videos: Kaplan's best tutors review the most important concepts from each chapter in short video tutorials.
Kaplan has helped more than 3 million students successfully prepare for their future, and we promise ACT prep you can trust. Kaplan ACT 2015 Strategies, Practice, and Personalized Review is the tool to make your testing goals a reality -- guaranteed!
3.) Cracking the ACT with 6 Practice Tests, 2015 Edition
THE PRINCETON REVIEW GETS RESULTS. Get all the prep you need to ace the ACT with 6 full-length practice tests, thorough ACT topic reviews, and extra practice online.
Techniques That Actually Work.
• Powerful tactics to avoid traps and beat the ACT
• Tips for pacing yourself and guessing logically
• Essential strategies to help you work smarter, not harder
Everything You Need to Know for a High Score.
• Complete coverage of all test topics
• Thorough review of the skills necessary to ace all five ACT sections
• Bulleted chapter summaries for quick review
Practice Your Way to Perfection.
• 4 full-length practice tests with detailed answer explanations in the book
• 2 additional full-length ACT practice exams online
• Drills for each test section—English, Mathematics, Reading, Science, and Writing
• Instant score reports for online tests, plus optional LiveGrader(TM) essay scoring
TOP 3 STANDARDIZED TEST PREPARATION MATERIALS
for the SAT
1.) The Official SAT Study Guide Second Edition
The Official SAT Study Guide: Second Edition™ features 10 official SAT® practice tests created by the test maker. With over 1,000 pages and more than 20 chapters, it's packed with the most up-to-date information regardless of the jacket and students need to get ready for the test.
Students will gain valuable experience and raise their confidence by taking practice tests, by reviewing critical concepts, test-taking approaches, and focused sets of practice questions just like those on the actual SAT.
The Official SAT Study Guide: Second Edition will help students get ready for the SAT with
- 10 official SAT practice tests, including 3 new recent exams
- detailed descriptions of math, critical reading, and writing sections of the SAT
- targeted practice questions for each SAT question type
- practice essay questions, along with sample essays and annotations
- a review of math concepts tested in the exam
- test-taking approaches and suggestions that underscore important points
- free online score reports
- exclusive access to online answers and explanations at collegeboard.com
- $10 discount on The Official SAT Online Course to all book owners
There's also a complete chapter on the PSAT/NMSQT®.
2.) The Official SAT Study Guide with DVD
The Official SAT Study Guide with DVD by The College Board is the only book that features official SAT® practice tests created by the test maker. With 1,000 pages and more than 20 chapters, it has everything you need to prepare for the SAT.
- Additional Bonus official SAT test with exclusive online access to answer explanations..
- SAT Test Timer – virtual proctor and timed SAT test taking experience that allows students to hear actual instructions and take timed full length practice tests.
- Exclusive video content featuring:
- Math Concepts review video, educator-led step-by-step sample problem solving, with review and explanation of useful math concepts across the 4 main math topic areas covered in the test
- Skills Insight Overview Video will help students learn more about the benefits of this free College Board tool
- Additional practice tools and test day resources such us Math Concept Reference Guide and Test Day Checklist
- 10 official SAT practice tests with exclusive access to online answer explanations
- Detao iled descriptions of math, critical reading, and writing sections of the SAT
- Targeted practice questions for each SAT question type
- Practice essay questions, along with sample essays and annotations
- Free online score reports
3.) Gruber’s Complete SAT Guide 2015
The comprehensive guide from the "leading expert on the SAT" (Houston Chronicle)
With thousands of students taking the SAT, the right test prep program can make all the difference between getting into the dream college or settling for less. Dr. Gary Gruber's method can make that difference for every student. Praised as "the most prominent guru of SAT prep" (Chicago Tribune), Gruber offers an exclusive
method for proven SAT success and learning that sticks!
• The strongest math section of any guide on the market
• 5 full-length practice tests
• World's shortest SAT practice test with expanded explanations
THE BEST PRACTICE PLUS COMPREHENSIVE STRATEGIES FOR HIGHER SCORES ON THE SAT
For more than 40 years, Dr. Gary Gruber has been the leading authority on the SAT and test preparation. Now in its 18th edition, Gruber's Complete SAT Guide has proven the effectiveness of structured SAT preparation by raising thousands of students' SAT scores. Gruber's method actually evaluates why students choose the wrong answers, builds core knowledge necessary for the test as well as providing strategic insight and advice, giving students a critical approach to solving the questions they miss most often.
Featuring 5 full-length practice tests, targeted sections on Math, Critical Reading, and Writing, plus exclusive strategies for finding the right answers in less time, Gruber's Complete SAT Guide has all the tools college-bound high school students need to earn top scores.
GET THE SKILLS THAT UNLOCK THE ANSWERS
With the explanation to a question, you can only answer that one question. With the exclusive Gruber strategies, you can answer thousands of questions! These strategies show you how to think about problems instead of trying to solve each one individually and can be used consistently on every SAT test.
EXCLUSIVE SAT PREP TOOLS THAT'LL REDUCE TEST-TAKING STRESS
--Unique diagnostic test shows you why you got questions wrong-and how to get them right
--Inside information on how SAT questions are created
--The 101 most important math questions you need to know how to solve
--Complete math refresher
--Brief and Complete Grammar Review
--The most important SAT words
--The world's shortest SAT test (just 18 questions!) with complete answer explanations
that show you the exact basic skills and strategies you need to markedly improve your score
--Five Complete Practice SAT tests with detailed answers explained and keyed to specific
strategies and skills
WHAT THE MEDIA IS SAYING
"Gary Gruber is the most prominent guru of SAT preparation."-Chicago Tribune
"His methods make the questions seem amazingly simple to solve."-Library Journal
"Dr. Gruber knows the ins and outs of the SAT."-Los Angeles Times
"Gary Gruber is the leading expert on the SAT."-Houston Chronicle